Saturday, October 19, 2013


Senior Tailback Kyle Schuberth
MADISON (NJ) – Delaware Valley College senior tailback Kyle Schuberth tied the school record with four touchdowns in a game and became just the third player to surpass the 3,000-yard rushing mark for a career as the Aggies survived a big scare from host FDU-Florham and posted a 45-30 victory.

The win improved Delaware Valley to 5-1 overall and 4-1 in the Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC). The Aggies are now tied with Lebanon Valley College and Lycoming College – both of which have the bye this week – for the top spot in the standings and they may be joined by defending champion Widener University tomorrow if the Pride defeat Misericordia University. FDU-Florham fell to 1-5 overall and 0-5 in the conference.

Schuberth finished the rare Friday night game with 35 carries for 183 yards and the four scores. The touchdown total was reached six previous times in school history, including earlier this year when Schuberth had 214 yards and the four touchdowns against Stevenson University. He upped his career rushing yardage figure to 3,044 yards as he joined Matt Cook (4,432 rushing yards from 2007-10) and Steve Cook (3,530 yards from 2002 to 2005) in the exclusive 3,000-yard club.

Despite Schuberth's big numbers, the Devils held surprising leads of 23-21 at halftime and a 30-29 advantage early in the third quarter. Later in the third, FDU-Florham shanked a punt and the Aggies took over at the Devil 38-yard line. A holding penalty backed them up 10 yards. But quarterback Charlie Marterella, who was making his first collegiate start under center for Delaware Valley, hit Rasheed Bailey for a 30-yard pass play. The drive stalled at the 13, but Brandon Snyder's 30-yard field goal attempt sailed through the uprights to give Delaware Valley a narrow 32-30 advantage with 12 seconds left in the quarter.

The teams then stalled on a combined three possessions and the Aggies took over at its own 45-yard line with 9:22 on the clock. On play action, Marterella found Bailey again, this time for a 36-yard pass to the Devil 19. Later in the drive, Schuberth found paydirt from two yards out. An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after the score moved the extra-point attempt back 15 yards and Snyder missed the kick, leaving it a one-possession game at 38-30 with 6:09 left in regulation.

FDU-Florham took over at its own 15-yard line, but the Aggies stopped them on three plays and they took over at the Devil 45 following the punt. They had a fourth-and-one and elected to go for the first down. Schuberth got the call and two yards. The ball came loose and the Devils recovered, but the officials announced that there was in inadvertent whistle and the Aggies maintained possession. Schuberth then followed with a 26-yard run to the eight-yard line. On third down, he hit the end zone for the fourth time. Snyder's extra-point put Delaware Valley up 45-30 with 2:48 to go and that became the final score.

Delaware Valley took the opening kickoff and went 77 yards on 10 plays. Schuberth had 58 of the yards including a 43-yard sprint to the FDU-Florham nine-yard line. The Aggies then had fourth-and-goal from the one when Schuberth easily got into the end zone. Snyder added the extra-point for a 7-0 lead just 4:08 into the contest.

FDU-Florham drove into Aggie territory and Sean Gavin floated a 33-yard field goal just over the crossbar for a 7-3 ballgame with 8:17 left in the quarter. A 35-yard kickoff return by Tyler Bing gave Delaware Valley the ball at midfield. It needed just seven plays to find the end zone and it was Schuberth again as he went in untouched from four yards out. Snyder's boot made it 14-3 just three minutes after the Devils' score.

Delaware Valley turned the ball over with a fumble on its next possession and FDU-Florham went on a 60-yard scoring drive that was capped by quarterback Mike Santos' 11-yard touchdown run. Gavin's extra-point pulled the Devils to within four, 14-10, just 35 seconds into the second quarter.

FDU-Florham came right back after an Aggie punt and quickly moved into scoring range. Wide receiver Anthony Fruncillo, who caught a long pass, took over at quarterback in the wildcat and scored from four yards out to give the Devils their first lead of the game at 17-14 with 9:21 to go in the opening half.

Delaware Valley regained the lead on its next drive as it drove 65 yards on 15 plays and took 6:12 off the clock. The Aggies got deep in Devil territory but a penalty moved them back into a third-and-16 situation from the 19. However, Charlie Marterella found Lewis Vincent in the middle of the end zone for his first career touchdown pass. Snyder's third extra-point of the night put them back up front, 21-17.

FDU-Florham responded on a long third down of its own as, on third-and-10, Santos threw a swing pass to Esaun Mobley and he went untouched for a 64-yard touchdown. The two-point conversion failed, but the Devils still had the lead at 23-21 and took that into the break.

Delaware Valley got a three-and-out on FDU-Florham's opening possession of the second half. Then, Chad Wisniewski came through and blocked the punt. It went forward a few yards to the 39-yard line where Bobby Marterella scooped it up, broke a few tackles and found the end zone. Bobby Marterella then caught the two-point conversion pass from his brother Charlie and the Aggies had a 29-23 lead just 1:40 into the third quarter.

Back came the Devils as they converted a fourth-and-four in Delaware Valley territory and then scored on a Fruncillo touchdown run. Gavin's extra-point put them back up, 30-29. However, the Aggies rallied and escaped Madison with the win.

Charlie Marterella completed 15 of 21 passes for 162 yards and one touchdown. Bailey had four grabs for 83 yards. Santos finished 16-for-31 for 231 yards and one touchdown passing while also rushing 53 yards and a score for the Devils. Fruncillo had a combined 148 yards and two touchdowns in the loss.