Saturday, November 9, 2013


EDWARDSVILLE – Up ten early in the fourth quarter, host Wilkes University could not hold on to a double-figure lead falling to Delaware Valley College 31-27 on a late Aggie touchdown reception Saturday in Middle Atlantic Conference play.

Wilkes slips to 4-5 overall and 3-5 in conference games snapping a two-game win streak in the process. Delaware Valley snaps its two-game losing streaking improving to 6-3 overall and 5-3 in MAC games.

Wilkes looked like it went up for good in the contest when David Claybrook broke free from two defenders and quarterback Taylor Young threw a perfect spiral to the rookie wide receiver down the right side of the field for a 54-yard touchdown catch putting the Colonels up 27-17 with 12:49 left in the fourth quarter.

Delaware Valley gained momentum on the ensuing drive converting a 35-yard pass play to move down to the Wilkes 8. From there, the Aggies converted a seven yard touchdown pitch-and-catch to cut the deficit to three, 27-24 with 9:40 on the clock.

Wilkes put together a nice drive looking to use up some clock on its next possession. Claybrook rushed for 12 yards and Ingulli carried the ball four times for 22 yards to move into Delaware Valley territory at the DVC 18. From there the drive stalled and Wilkes elected to try the 35-yard field goal to up its lead to six points. Frank Bobo’s kick missed wide right setting up the Aggies for their game-winning drive.

Delaware Valley moved down the field using a balanced attack of run and pass plays. Facing a second and two from the Wilkes 19 with 1:29 left in the game, Aggie quarterback Aaron Wilmer rolled to his left throwing for the back of the end zone. The pass would be deflected by a Wilkes defensive back and land into the hands of a DVC receiver who rolled into the end zone for the game-winning score. The extra point forced Wilkes to have to score a touchdown down 31-27.

The Colonels had one last chance with 1:05 on the clock starting its drive at its own 32, but four incomplete passes ended the hopes of a Wilkes comeback turning the ball over on downs with just seconds remaining.

The game teetered back and forth early with Wilkes taking a 7-0 lead in the first when Ingulli went in off tackle from six yards out. Delaware Valley answered back scoring two times in the next 15 minutes to take a 14-7 lead. Young went in from four yards out on a bootleg late in the second quarter to send the teams to the break tied at 14-14.

Ingulli went for over 100+ on the ground for the fourth time this season finishing with 130 yards on 23 carries and two touchdowns. He also moved into 11th place all-time on the school’s rushing list with 1,397 career yards passing Courtney McFarlane’s 1,353 yards.

Young finished a productive afternoon throwing for 159 yards and one score on 12-for-21 passing. He was sacked twice rushing for 14 yards and one touchdown. Claybrook posted five catches for 106 yards, the second time the rookie wideout went over 100 yards this season. He added a score on the 54-yard touchdown play.

DJ Shuttleworth led the Wilkes defense with a season-high ten tackles and one forced fumble. Tate Moore-Jacobs followed with nine stops, while Nick Gray made eight tackles in his second straight start at linebacker.

Wilkes closes out its regular season next Saturday hosting up-start cross-town rival King’s College (5-4, 5-3 MAC) in the 18th annual Mayor’s Cup at McCarthy Stadium at12:00 p.m. The game will be televised live locally on Fox 56.